Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Vinyl Sticker

So I was going to make one of those melting crayon art pictures and put on a vinyl sticker to block the crayon.  But since I can't decide what to make, that project is on hold.   So what do I do now with this roll of sticky vinyl I bought?

Hum....

I know, make a computer sticker.

  I really want one to kind of jazz up my laptop.  So the whole way home from band practice, I'm thinking how much fun this is going to be.  Then it hits me, I bought black vinyl and my computer is black.  Hum, that doesn't sound like the best mix.  So now I'm experimenting.

Here's what I used:
*Vinyl (i bought the kind for the Cricut machine, oh gosh how I really want one of those!)
*Printed cardstock (mine was of course, music related, JoAnne's was having a sale and I bought a whole pack of music related paper)
* Cutter ( I used my new Precision Cutter I bought from Michael's)
*Scissors
*Mod Podge

Here's what I did:

1.  I found a cool clip art from online.  It's been circulated so much, I don't know who to give credit to for it.

2.  I edited the clip art using my Adobe Illustrator free trial version.  I love that too! But it costs way too much for me to buy it, so I'm enjoying my free trial for 30 days, then will probably go into withdrawals!

3.  Next I printed the design directly on my cardstock.  I printed only the outline, so it's very faint.

4.  I cut out a square around my design and attached it with Mod Podge to a square of vinyl.  The vinyl rolled up for the picture.


5.  Then I applied a two layers of Mod Podge to seal it.


6.  After everything dried I cut out the design.  This was so hard! Maybe I didn't let the Mod Podge dry all the way, or my knife wasn't sharp enough to cut through all my layers.  It took forever and if you look up close it doesn't have the cleanest lines. I guess more reason to get a Cricut! Hint Hint to Ryan since my birthday is coming up! Oh well.




 Here's the finished product on my computer, I'll have to post in a week or two to update how well it stays on.  I'm a little worried about my paper layer peeling off!  

No comments:

Post a Comment